Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Simple Things

Last night on my way home from Cayman I was part of a magical moment. I made two little friends on the plane - Sophie (5) and Ally (8). It was not only their first trip off the island but also their first time seeing snow. I remember them from the airport before we boarded - they were the only two kids with toques and scarves paired with their flip flops...so excited at every mention of the flight to Toronto over the speakers.

The entire flight they were talking about what it would be like to see the snow as their Dad told them stories of the city where he grew up. As we touched down Ally claimed she saw “magical mountains of white fluffy snow” while Sophie tried to push her aside to get a peek. Then the little ones lit up as the flight attendant announced "Welcome to Toronto - A special welcome to our little friends Sophie and Ally who are seeing snow for the first time" - everyone on the plane clapped so loud and long. I couldn't stop smiling at these little girls who were experiencing one of the happiest moments of their lives.

It's the simple things we take advantage of sometimes. Even when I was coming home from a warm place that feels like heaven to me, I couldn't help but have a new appreciation for the cold white stuff I usually try and avoid!

No comments: