Friday, March 28, 2008

Holt Renfrew needs a serious customer service intervention

Listen up Mr.Holt Renfrew, you best focus on your customer service in the years to come otherwise you are going to be out of luck when someone like Barney moves into town!

Once again I am so disappointed in the customer service at this store! It's not the first time either! At the Bloor store about two years ago I was searching for a white cardigan and the sales lady told me she only had one and she didn't think I could afford it...she actually said that!! Well lady - your cardigan was damn ugly otherwise I would have bought that puppy up in a flash just to spite you. At Christmas I was dealing with the mens department purchasing a polo jacket for Marty - the sales guy was helpful and brought it in from another store but gave it to another customer and then told me he didn't have anymore! A week later I was at the Bloor store and found it!!

Today I called for some help at the La Prairie counter and the lady asked me if I was a customer - sort of shocked I said "yes" - she says to me "you don't sound very sure of that" and then after huffing and puffing about my ask of her said she didn't have time to help me and was quite rude! Well okay then Mary at the La Prairie counter you won't be getting any business from my Mom or I anytime soon! Excuse me but isn't anyone who calls or goes into the store a 'customer' - or do you prefer to look up individual profiles to see how much money they spend with you to determine what level of customer they are and how much service they deserve?

For the most part I feel pressured to shop at Holts because there is no competition that carries the same products. Part of the problem could be the race for commission which typically overshadows a positive customer experience. I also feel that I am discriminated against when I go in there. Service depends on what I'm wearing and it's often better when I'm with my Mom. Watch out for that sales ladies - I hate to tarnish your tiaras but how do you know who has money and who doesn't? You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Sorry for the rant but I really hope we get some decent competition for Holts in town - shouldn't it be here already? We're Toronto - a major tourist destination in the world - I feel like the shopping here doesn't even begin to compare to the US...let's step it up people - don't make me call Bloomingdales or Bergdorf!

Good luck Mr. HR - you are going to need it!

1/2 star and two thumbs down,
Your disgruntled and irritated yet repeat (not by choice) customer

2 comments:

E. Bryce said...

You couldn't have said it any better! Unless I know the sales lady through my mom or I am with my mom, I am treated terribly or often ignored! Sometimes I want to say my inside thoughts out loud to the queenies who work at HR. Argh!

sommer said...

Well done, Holly! It drives me nuts when I get terrible service - especially in Holt Renfrew. I recently bought a suit at Neiman Marcus in Michigan (side note: this mall in Michigan has Barneys, Saks, Neimans, Macys and Bloomingdales in ONE mall *sigh*) - anyway, the sales people were SO nice, helpful - it was a dream. I later went to Holts and the lady at Elie Tahari was SOO rude to me and pulled the: "are you sure you can afford this" line with me as well. ICK! also...the doorman at the Bloor store calls me 'hon. Not a fan!