Friday, November 16, 2007

My Maggie

I must say when she first arrived I was not very happy. I was 8 when she was born. I was excited about the idea of having a little sister and then when she came home everyone wanted to hold her, play with her….my family, my friends…everyone! I was very jealous of the new little Maggie but slowly warmed up to having a sister and have not looked back since.

I can honestly say she could have been one of the cutest little kids I have ever seen. When I think of memories they are all of her wanting to follow me, play with me, be with me. She was made up of the sweetest disposition in a little girl you could ever ask for. With our 8 year age gap I missed a lot of her High School years while I was at University and now that she’s at University we don’t see each other all the time but try when we can. Even when I see her now I still expect the little 6 year old Maggie with her round Mickey Mouse glasses, big blue eyes and eyelashes so long they skim the lenses to show up at my door.

We have done so many incredible things together from African safari’s to shopping in New York and from scuba diving with sharks to tubing at the cottage. She was the maid of honour at my wedding and even though she might not realize it now I hope she knows that I’m proud to call her my sister and can’t believe the beautiful, generous and kind hearted woman she has become.

My Maggie turned 20 today and I’m feeling old. I would like to think of myself as very adaptive and typically embracing of change in my career and workplace – when it comes to family life I like things to stay the same. I don’t want my family and friends to get old, I don’t want traditions to be broken, I don’t like relationships to change. With time moving so quickly days roll into months and before your know it years have passed. For this reason I always try and keep family close and relish the moments we share together. I actually spend a larger part of holiday dinners, family functions and time with friends admiring their unique personalities, memorizing the moment and thinking how blessed I am to have them in my life.

Even if you can sometimes have a horrible sense of direction, be incredibly messy, unorganized and more often than not steal my clothes you “borrowed”, I am always here for you Maggie forever and always.

Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved loved loved it! Very sweet, I appreciate it.

love you,

Mag

Anonymous said...

Hi, Aunty Holly!!!
That was so sweet what you wrote about Maggie, I just finished wiping my tears. The pic of Cora is so cute.....yah for peepee on the potty!!!!!!! And I would also like to try those CL bad boys on:)

Tiina